Saturday, January 17, 2009

Godly Sorrow

As I was reading (studying), your faces came to me.

One of you had mentioned repentance.
I could imagine your face.
Searing judgment.

A sadness came upon me.
I am worthless.
I am nothing.

Deep shame.

I let it sit,
let it slowly
sting
its sadness
into my soul.

From somewhere, a light.
Invisible, almost imperceptible,
melting sadness into surrender.

My impressive education is not worth anything.
This important project is not worth anything.
Nothing I do is worth anything.
Only Jesus.

Yes, I am worth something in Jesus.
A worth not pumped-up or pompous but contrite and content.
A worth requiring no-striving, only surrender and recognition:
You are my all in all.

"Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death." (2 Cor. 7:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment